The city of Alcobaça is located in the center region, in the valleys of the Alcoa and Baça rivers. From fertile lands, it is still known today for the richness of its fruits, vegetables, wines, olive oils, bread and gastronomy.
The Monastery of Alcobaça, one of the winners of the national election in 2007 for “The 7 Wonders of Portugal” is the most expressive and beautiful monument of Cistercian architecture in all of Christian Europe and is the result of a promise of the 1st king of Portugal. Classified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO since 1989, it houses the tombs of the eternal passionate Pedro and Inês de Castro, in a Portuguese version of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.
In the center of the city, the Wine Museum presents the largest wine estate in the country, with more than 10 thousand pieces allusive allusive to the nectar of the Greek God Dionysus and Roman Bacchus, revealing the tradition of the Cister monks who produced wine for 600 years.
Throughout the 20th century, some local specialties emerged that became authentic gastronomic business cards of Alcobaça, the best known being the chicken in the pucara and the cherne à Frei João, a recipe created in 1955 in honor of the chief cook of the Abbey and the farinheiras, the sausages, the rice sausages and the crumbs, characteristic of all of Alta Estremadura, as well as the various bean soups.
It is also thanks to the gastronomic heritage of the monks of Cister, that Alcobaça is known for the city of the Conventual Sweets, hosting since 1999 the International Exhibition of Conventual Sweets and Liquors. Examples of local confectionery are Delícia de Frei João and the Eggs Pudding of the Friars of the Convent of Alcobaça or the famous Bread-de-Ló de Alfeizerão.