The first written reference to the village of Carção dates from 1187, when the Monks of the Convent gave King Sancho the homestead of Benquerença, in the place that is today Bragança, receiving in exchange, among others, the village of Carção.
Known as the “Capital of Marranism in Trás-os-Montes”, the small village in the municipality of Vimioso, district of Bragança, is an important symbol of the culture and sui generis religious practices of the Jews expelled from Spain who took refuge in the Portuguese raian villages no century XV: the Marranos, the “clandestine Jews” of Portugal.
Perhaps also because of this, its people went out into the night street outside every Lent to order the souls. The custom that no one knows how it began, but which repeats itself religiously every year, is associated with the sacred time of Christ’s death, and it is the people of the people who intercede directly for theirs and for all souls who have not yet found the way of Heaven.
The gastronomic route of this region is divine and easy to find in a varied and colorful cuisine based on the ingredients that the land provides throughout the year, in the meats of the region’s natural breeds – Maronese, Mirandese and Bissara – or game and delicious cod with rye bread or bread. The cheeses, the smoked, the olives, the own olive oil, the folar and regional sweets take the traveler directly to the paradise.
The village of Carção, also known by the fluvial beach surrounded by a dense grove that gives it a wild and paradisiacal environment, is mentioned by the Portuguese writer Camilo Castelo Branco in his best-known novel “Amor de Perdição”.