Old documents dating from 1153 refer to the village as Aljumarrota (Aliuma Rupta), which reminds us of the Arab al hamma, ‘source of lukewarm water’. In fact, there were scalding moments in the town that hosted one of the most decisive events of the History of Portugal and that saw the battle gain the name of the place where it took place: Battle of Aljubarrota.
Nuno Álvares Pereira, Patron of the National Infantry is considered the greatest Portuguese military genius of all time, known as the Holy Constable, defeated the invading troops of Castile guaranteeing the independence of Portugal.
Almost by miracle, the Battle was won in numerical inferiority in less than an hour, thanks to the innovative military strategy that had the support of the British.
In the Interpretation Center of the Battle of Aljubarrota it is possible to watch a multimedia spectacle, to cross the battlefield with specialist in Military History, to buy products of exclusive design and to try diverse replicas of arms and armor that were used at the time.
As a tribute to Batalha, Aljubarrota has been the scene of a medieval fair held annually in August.
The village is rich in architectural motifs, historical memories and ancestral stones that constitute a living museum of Portuguese history.